Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Tourist in My Own City: Ciudad de las Artes y las Ciencias


One of the things I regret most about my 2 years in Almeria is that I didn't take advantage of the cultural and tourist sites the city has to offer. Which is why I am on a mission to not make the same mistake in my new city. Which is why I have decided to write a series of blog posts about the most famous sites in Valencia.

My first stop was The Ciudad de las Artes y las Ciencias, which is one of, if not the most famous monument in Valencia. The arts and science city is a series of BEAUTIFUL modern buildings designed by Santiago Calatrava and Félix Candela. It is a 2 kilometer piece of land on the former bed of the River Turia. It has five main parts: Hemisfèric: which houses an IMAX screen, Umbracle: which has great views of the rest of the park and also lots of trees and plants, Príncipe Felipe Science Museum: an interactive science museum, Oceanográfico: the largest aquarium in Europe and the Palau de les Arts Reina Sofía: which has opera performances.

I unfortunately have not been able to go inside any of the places yet since I am trying to save some money for my trip to Italy, but I definitely want to visit all of them. However, just walking around the complex is enjoyable and something I do almost every weekend. It’s a beautiful place to take a walk, a bike ride or just bring a book and a picnic to enjoy under a tree.


IMG_0316
View of Palau de les Arts Reina Sofía from the Turia Gardens
IMG_0334
Some of the beautiful landscape


IMG_0339
Hemisfèric or the eyeball building as I like to call it
IMG_0378
Hemisfèric from the entrance. Looks like a bug doesn't it?


IMG_0347
Príncipe Felipe Science Museum
See that arc? If two people stand on each side of it and speak to the wall they can hear each other!
IMG_0400
Príncipe Felipe Science Museum and Ágora
IMG_0406
Umbracle gardens
IMG_0410
Umbracle
IMG_0427
Umbracle Gardens

1 comment:

  1. We enjoyed the science museum and spent about 3 hours there, even though several of the exhibits were in various states of disrepair. That entire area is very pretty architecturally.

    ReplyDelete