Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Wanderlust lifestyle

Wanderlust. Defined as a strong desire to travel. I think that is an understatement for me, and for many travelers. I see it more as a need, like part of my life that I need to survive. I get bored if I stay in one place too long.

While browsing Facebook tonight I came across a post by Thought Catalog about the effects of wanderlust and it got me thinking about a wanderlust (wanderlustful?) lifestyle.

I think for me one of the effects of wanderlust that I have noticed the most is in my friendships. It is hard to keep up with friends from back home for many reasons. The time difference is obviously a big one, but also everyone is going through different experiences. I am traveling the world and my friends aren't. I feel like when I do talk to them and they want to hear what I've been up to like I am being pretentious and rubbing it in their faces that I am traveling and having all these great experiences. Being away from the US for 3 years has also meant that I have essentially lost some friends that I have had for a long time. It makes me sad of course, but that is what happens when there is so much distance between people.

On the other hand, it has lead me to some other great friendships. Even just staying in hostels you meet great people! Some you only spend the day with and after the trip never talk to again and some become lifelong friends. It’s great. Through my travels I have met people from all over the world and hearing their stories is just amazing.

Another thing is my work. I always wanted to be involved with theater one way or another for the rest of my life. But, theater work and international travel don’t usually go well together. I have had to give up the jobs I love for other work (don’t get me wrong, I really do enjoy teaching!) just to be able to stay in my foreign country. A pretty decent trade off I think!

I think traveling also makes you jaded. I think that is what point number 1 is on the Thought Catalog post. This sounds terrible,I know, but when I was in the Sistine Chapel looking up at the ceiling that I had heard so much about, all I could think was “Ok, another painted ceiling.” Don’t get me wrong, it was absolutely beautiful! But, I felt TERRIBLE thinking that though when people were so excited and moved just by looking at a world famous painting. I guess that is what wanderlust does to you! (maybe only me….)

Anyway, this is just some late night musings. I would love to hear anyone’s thoughts or other wanderlust effects! Leave me some comments. Winking smile

No comments:

Post a Comment